There’s just something about fajitas…
You’ve just been seated at an American fare-type restaurant. Menu in hand, you’re trying to decide what sounds good… then a server walks by with a fajita platter. The sound of the juices sizzling on the hot cast iron platter, plus the aroma of marinated chicken, onions and peppers wafting all around you, make your meal decision a quick one. “I’ll have the chicken fajitas, please!”
CILANTRO-LIME CHICKEN FAJITAS
*adapted from thesimpledollar.com
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 bell peppers, any color
2 sm. onions
2 tsp. minced garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbs. water
1 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbs. lime juice
2 Tbs. freshly minced cilantro
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
(or regular brown sugar of course)
Soft taco sized tortillas
- Slice peppers and onions into thin wedges, set aside.
- Slice chicken into thin strips (about 3-in. long).
- Heat skillet with 1 Tbs. olive oil; add in garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in chicken, sprinkle on salt & pepper to taste, and cook on medium heat until no longer pink.
- While chicken is cooking, mix together the marinade. In a large bowl, mix 1 Tbs. olive oil, chili powder, lime juice, cilantro, Worcestershire sauce, and Splenda.
- Add cooked chicken to marinade, mix well, and set aside.
- Add peppers & onions to same skillet, and cook until peppers & onions turn soft enough to your liking. Remove from heat and add chicken into skillet to mix all together.
Serve in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings (i.e. shredded lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa).